We have sent you and email with instructions on how to reset your password.
Wilmington YMCA Sprint
Sat, Sep 19, 2015
Wrightsville Beach, NC
About This Activity
The biggest race in the AAA Car Care North Carolina Triathlon Series, and one of the largest single distance, one day event from northern Virginia to Florida (1,100 participants).
(for course maps - click on "Course Maps" button above. Course maps are satellite photos on PDF files and may take an extra few seconds to load.)
This race starts out with a 1,500 meter swim - which is unusual for a sprint distance triathlon. The reason the swim is longer than the normal sprint distance swim is because the swim is a point-to-point swim that always takes place with an incoming tide. Check out the swim times from previous years - the swim actually seems more like 750 meters - 1,000 meters depending on how fast the current is moving. It is important to note that while this swim takes place in salt water - this is not an ocean swim. The swim takes place in a channel system between Wrightsville Beach and the mainland. Numerous busses are used to transport participants from the transition area (and swim finish location) to the swim start location at the Blockade Runner hotel. This is another race that becomes a race day decision for wetsuits - as the water temperature at this time of the year along the southern North Carolina coast is always around 78 degrees.
The course is flat (not a surprise) as the race is at the coast. The one loop course takes participants over the Wrightsville Beach drawbridge and onto the mainland. Participants need to be very careful crossing the metal grading on the drawbridge - don't make any sudden turns or movements (ride carefully!!).
The 5K run course is a one-loop design and also flat. The run takes place on the very popular "loop" at Wrightsville Beach with 90% of the run being on the sidewalk system - the other 10% is on a very quiet side street - used to get the necessary distance