We have sent you and email with instructions on how to reset your password.
2014 Chatham County Alzheimers Walk and 5K
Fri, Aug 15, 2014
About This Activity
The Chatham County Alzheimer Committee invites you to the 4th Annual Chatham County Alzheimers Walk and 5K run benefiting Alzheimer's North Carolina, Inc. sponsored by Galloway Ridge at Fearrington on Saturday, September 13th, 2014.
Race will wind through the quaint, scenic Fearrington Village with a short route for the "Fun Walk".
Registration begins at 8:00 am. Race starts at 9:00 am.
Registration is $30. Early-bird registration is $25 before August 15th. Runners welcome to register on the day of the event, but cannot be promised a t-shirt.
Walkers who raise at least $30 will receive a tee shirt. Additional tee shirts can be purchased; one for $12 or two for $20.
All funds raised from the run/walk STAY in North Carolina to support, educate, and improve the lives of those affected by Alzheimer’s disease in our local communities.
--->This year the Chatham County AlzNC 5k/Walk is partnering with the Chatham County Music and Memory Initiative to hold an iPod drive. In addition to signing up to run or walk, please consider donating a new or gently used iPod to support the Chatham County Music and Memory Initiative. The iPods will help create an iPod loan program through the Chatham County Council on Aging and will be distributed to the six elder care organizations which are licensed as MUSIC AND MEMORY ™ facilities in Chatham County. Music and Memory ™ is a national program to help add further joy into the lives of individuals with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia through personalized music. To learn more about the power of personalized music, go to www.musicandmemory.org.
About Alzheimer’s disease:
• Alzheimer’s disease is a disorder that causes the gradual loss of brain cells and is the leading cause of dementia.
• Over 140,000 people in North Carolina are affected by Alzheimer’s and these numbers are expected to rise to over 300,000 by the year 2030.
• Alzheimer’s disease currently affects almost 5.4 million Americans.
• Over 70% of persons with Alzheimer's disease are cared for at home or in the community by family members and friends.
• Nearly 50% of Americans over 85 have Alzheimer’s disease.
• 200 billion is the estimated cost to the United States.
• Is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
• One in 8 Americans will develop Alzheimer’s disease.