We have sent you and email with instructions on how to reset your password.
Hearts for Hunger 5k/1k Fun Run & Walk
Sat, May 16, 2015
About This Activity
Hearts for Hunger 5k/1k Fun Run/ & Walk – May 16, 2015
“Harnessing Hunger, One Backpack at a Time”
The United Church of Hinesburg is hosting its 3rd annual 5K/1K Fun Run & Walk on May 16th as a fundraiser to benefit the Vermont Foodbank’s Backpack Program. This nationally recognized program of Feeding America is designed to meet the needs of hungry children at times when other resources, like school breakfast and lunch, are not available, such as weekends and school vacations. For more information on this program, I encourage you to visit: http://www.vtfoodbank.org/OurPrograms/YouthPrograms/BackPackProgram.aspx
The mission of the Vermont Foodbank is to “gather and share quality food and nurture partnerships so that no one in Vermont will go hungry”. This mission aligns with our committee’s desire to help alleviate hunger, both locally and worldwide.
· 12.8% percent of Vermont’s residents are food insecure
· 34,000 households in the state are at risk of hunger
· Over 50 million Americans face hunger in the US, with nearly 17 million being children
· 1 in 6 Americans lives in a household that worries about where they will get their next meal
Because of the Backpack Program:
· 700 youth receive food packs each week
· In a year, the VT Foodbank will package nearly 20,000 bags, or 63,000 pounds of food for children in need