We have sent you and email with instructions on how to reset your password.
Devil's Backbone TX TRI & Du
Sun, Mar 20, 2016
Canyon Lake, TX
Triathlon-Olympic - Individual Age group/open
Duathlon-3 mile run, 26.85 bike, 6 mile run - Individual Age group/open
About This Activity
Tri: 1000 meter swim; 26 mile bike and 6 mile run loop.
Du: 3 mile paved run, 26.85 mile bike, 6 mile paved run
Intense, intermediate distance course for the experienced triathlete.
Beautiful hill country bike course including Devil's Backbone and Purgatory Rd.
Amazing Canyon Lake views on run course.
Clean, blue lake water
Great weekend trip for family and friends.
Event details and schedule
Tri Course Description: Intermediate Distance Race
Swim 1000 meters
Bike 26.85 miles
Run 6 miles
Du Course Description: Intermediate Course Distance Race
Run 3 miles
Bike 26.85 miles
Run 6 miles
Tri swim & Du run will both start at approximately the same time. Both races will then begin bike stage at approximately the same time.
Swim: 1000 meters in clear Canyon Lake. Temperature range can vary from 52 - 65 degrees with temperature likely below 60. Full wetsuits are required. Neoprene caps are highly recommended and required for anything below 60 degrees. We will hold the swim unless the temperature drops below 52 degrees. Temperatures of 52-58 the swim may be shortened depending on weather conditions.
Run - 3 mile loop. See description below.
Transition • Located at the top of the boat ramp. Steep incline. • Transition area will be divided by gender. • Bike out is at the opposite end. • For safety reasons you must walk your bike into and out of transition. There will be clearly marked mount and dismount lines. • Listen to race officials in transition. Be courteous of other racers.
The Bike – 26.85 miles • The course is one loop. The course is a difficult, challenging, FUN course with serious climbs and descents providing gorgeous hill country views. Police officers will be present at all intersections directing traffic and helping to ensure safety. The course contains all right hand turns except when exiting and entering the park. • No drafting. You must keep at least three bike lengths between you and the cyclist in front of you. If you pass the person in front, you must do so within 15 seconds. • Stay to the right unless passing a cyclist. • If someone passes you, allow three bike lengths between you and the cyclist who passed you before attempting to pass. In other words, you have to exit the draft zone from the rear before you attempt to pass. • NO HEADPHONES!
• Immediately prior to the turnoff on to Purgatory Rd. from FM 32 there is a 1.2 mile stretch with no shoulder and bumps along the right edge. This stretch will have officers slowing traffic with an officer pacing cars but demands caution from the cyclist.
• Approximately 1 mile after turning off of Purgatory Rd. onto FM 306 there is a very steep decline. You will reach 40+ mph. Take caution while descending. FM 306 traffic can get heavy and fast. We will work with traffic control to make this as safe as possible. It is the cyclist’s responsibility to follow the rules of the road. • Caution: This course is technical and hilly. This course is not for beginner cyclists. Be aware of traffic on 306. Most of 306 has shoulders but they are narrow and are not coned off. Traffic on 306 can be heavy. There are several sections of approximately 1 mile or less with no shoulder. Use caution in these areas. Officers, signs and volunteers will be present on the course slowing traffic. We work closely with Comal and Hays County Sheriff's to create a safe bike course but cyclists must be aware of their cycling level.
Bike and Helmet Inspections • There will be no mandatory bike or helmet inspection. Each racer is expected to ensure that his or her bike and helmet is in safe and proper working condition. Bike shop mechanics will be onsite during packet pickup and on race morning to assist with any needed repairs. Please make sure your bike handlebars have bar end plugs. You will not be allowed to race without them. • All participants must wear a helmet that meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Helmets must be securely fastened before mounting your bike. You can be disqualified for not wearing your helmet.
Bike Aid Station
Purgatory Rd and Elkridge Rd.
Water, gatorade and Clif Products
Tri Run – 2 loops each 3 miles long after the bike course.
Du Run - 3 loops each 3 miles long. One loop before the bike and two loops after the bike.
The run course is on the peripheral paved roads within Canyon Park. The park is not open to the public at this time of year so no cars will be in the park. Beautiful views of Canyon Lake and the park exist throughout the run course. Run Course Aid Stations • Aid stations will have water, Gatorade and Clif products. • Run course and finish line will have aid stations. • Run course aid station will be located as you are exiting transition onto the course and midway along each loop.
• Water, Gatorade, Clif Products will be provided at the finish line.
• Epic slow cooked beans and sausage. Vegetarian option.
• Saturday, March 19, 2016 at Tripp's Comedy Club above Baja BBQ Shack at Canyon Lake Marina.
• 11:00 – 5:00 pm • All racers are required to pick up their OWN packet. According to USAT rules you may not pick up another racer’s packet. • You are required to show photo ID and proof of either one day or annual USAT membership. We will only have one day memberships available for purchase at packet pickup but we kindly ask you to purchase one day ($12) or annual ($45) membership prior to packet pickup either through www.usatriathlon.org or when registering online for the race. • Packet includes: 1. race bib 2. bike and helmet stickers 3. swim cap 4. safety pins for race bib to secure to front of 5. sponsor info / swag☺ 6. tech t-shirt for men and women
• Check out course. Suggest driving to transition to scope out parking and transition.
Parking • Turn off FM 306 onto Canyon Park Road. • You will be directed to parking along Canyon Park Road. • Be prepared to cycle up to one mile to transition from parking. Bring an appropriate backpack triathlon bag to carry your gear while cycling to transition. • Canyon Park Road will have limited one lane access during the race for guests of the marina. • Parking will be limited during the race for spectators. Please have all spectators carpool with you or have them arrive by 7:30 am. Parking spaces are limited along Canyon Park Rod and we want the bike course to remain as safe as possible for cyclists along the entrance. In addition, if spectators arrive after cyclists start, they may have to park outside the park and walk in or wait for an extended time at the light to enter the park.
Awards • All racers will receive a finisher’s medal. • Top three male and female in each age group will be recognized. • Age Groups by Gender. Age is determined by your age as of December 31, 2016. So if you are 39 on March 22, 2015 but turn 40 by December 31, 2016, you will be in the 40-44 award’s category. 1. 16-20 2. 20-24 3. 25-29 4. 30-34 5. 35-39 6. 40-44 7. 45-49 8. 50-54 9. 55-59 10. 60-64 11. 65-69 12. 70 and over
Bike Check-Out • Bikes will not be allowed out of Transition until most cyclists have completed the bike course. • Participants will be allowed to enter transition after they finish the race but they will not be allowed to remove their bikes. • Only bikes matched to a racers number will be allowed to leave transition. • Our goal is make the race as safe as possible. We allow racers to remove bikes from transition and head to their cars once cyclists are off the course to ensure increase safety. Post Race Amenities • All racers will receive free food and beverage. Course Cut off Times • Swim: One hour after start of last international wave. • Bike: 11:30 am • Run: 2:00 pm • Water, Gatorade, and Clif Products will be provided at the finish line.
• A link will be sent to you after the race with race day photographs. • Participation in the race gives race management the right to use all photos for future marketing purposes.
Dropping Out of the Race • If you drop out of the race for any reason, it is MANDATORY that you notify a race official or member of race staff immediately. This is particularly essential during the swim. Return your timing chip to the chip timing tent. This helps us ensure that all participants have safely completed the course.
Headphones • Absolutely NO headphones of any kind are allowed on any portion of the race. This safety precaution helps prevent accidents by helping to ensure that you can hear other racers, traffic, emergency vehicles etc.
Personal Belongings • We highly recommend that you leave all valuables including your cell phone in the car or with a spectator. Do not leave them out in the open in transition. • RaineRaces, LLC is not responsible for any stolen or lost items.
Lost and Found • All items found will be collected at the medical tent in the transition / finish line area. • Anything not claimed will be donated. We will NOT mail items to racers who leave items behind. Check your gear carefully before you leave your transition area.
Thanking Volunteers • No race would ever happen without the amazing support of local volunteers. Please remember to THANK our volunteers!! Anyone wishing to volunteer should go to www.devilsbackbonetxtri.com and sign up.
No Shows and Refund Policy • No refunds will be issued after November 30, 2015. • Half of your registration fee will be refunded up until November 30, 3015. • No-shows to packet pickup and the race forfeit their race bag swag. T-shirts and goodies will not be mailed to no-shows.
Medical • There will be a medical tent at the finish line. Medical personnel will be present on the bike and run courses.
EMS will be notified of the event and in the area. Please notify the closest aid station or race personnel if medical attention is needed.
Weather Cancellation Policy • In the event of lightening or severe weather, race management will postpone the race by up to one hour. Race management reserves the right to cancel the race and pull racers off the course in the event of lightening or severe weather. • No refunds will be issued in the case of severe weather.
Port-a-Potties • Located near transition area for volunteers, spectators and racers.