Third year in a row we invite locals and those from a bit further away to come to this small but beautiful park, share the trails, meet people, raise funds for a local non-profit, maybe create some new friendships and ways to support each other, and finally, to have some fun.
Mason District Running Festival is not a single race but a multi-event running celebration, which starts at 8 am and last till 2 pm. The Festival offers 5K, 10K, 6-hour and 3-hour run, Kids Fun Run for the youngest, and half a marathon.
Here is basic outline of the festival:
Start time for different distances:
8 am: 6-hour and 3-hour run
9 am: 5K and 10K
10:30 am: Kids Fun Run (Approximately 1 mile)
11 am: 1/2 marathon
By offering such variety of options we hope to appeal to complete novice runners as well as to seasoned long distance champions and everyone in between; we welcome young ones and those not that young any more, families, retirees, school kids and their teachers, walkers and ultra marathoners.
1. Check in: 30 minutes before the start of a run for all events.
2. Registration: online and at the Festival at least half an hour before the event. Each runner/walker must register and sign a waiver.
3. Admission Fee: NO fees. The festival is a gift: event itself, with marked courses, water, snacks, coffee in the morning, time tracking etc. However, there are also no shirts, no hats, or other fancy giveaways. (You may win a raffle prize – read more about that below).
We do accept gifts and thank you for all those that have been sent our way already as well as for the ones that are still coming. Gifts are being accepted before, during and after the festival, until October 1, 2018. You can gift us right here (click Gift Us button) or or at the Festival in person. Suggested gift amount is between $10 and $75. Click here to learn more about principles of gift economy.
4. Course(s) and Course Markings: Course will be marked by arrows spray-painted on the ground. Besides the arrows there may also be some streamers and and other signs along the course. Although the 5K course may be a bit confusing, with great markings you should be able to stay on it without a trouble. If for some reason you miss a turn look at it as bonus miles (like getting a holiday bonus, which is not taxable.)
5. Course Surface: The course is over 85% shaded and 97% on trails, fire or gravel roads, or grass, which means lots of roots, rocks, leaves etc. There are couple of bridge crossings and stream crossings. Runners may need to cross/jump over tree logs and climb some steep hills (Approximately 150 feet of elevation gain on 5K course most during the second half of it). Start and finish for all distances will be the same - on a grassy field right from the upper parking lot near the tennis courts.
6. Aid Station(s): main aid station will be at the start/finish line and will offer water, possibly some kind of energy drink and some snacks. Cups may be available but we encourage you to bring your own bottle to help reduce waste.
7. Timing: No chips or any of that modern stuff. We will do it the old fashion way with some help of modern technology. So, it certainly won’t be to a one hundredth of a second correct, heck, it may even not be to a second correct but in general, you will have pretty good idea about the time in which you finished your run.
8. Parking: is available on the upper level near tennis courts (approximately 50 parking spots). If there is no space at this parking lot, there are more parking spots available at the lower level near soccer fields, which would require participants to walk to the start area (< 0.5 mile). All participants are asked to respect all park rules and regulations including parking.
9. Be Green: in an effort to reduce amount of trash we encourage participants to bring their own water bottles or reusable cups.
10. Refunds: Since there are no fees, there are no refunds. Your gifts and donations are just that – gifts and donations and we thank you for them.
11. Food: There will be coffee in the morning and some snacks (fruits, PB&Js) available during the entire event and some more substantial vegan dishes (street legal lentil soup) at the end of the 3-hour run (11 am) and 6-hour run and 1/2 marathon (2 pm).
12. Restrooms: There are restrooms (with concrete walls and all, not port-a-potty) with sinks but NO showers just 50 steps away from the start/finish line. There are also water fountains there.
14. Driving Directions: Park is called Mason District Park. Address is: 6621 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA US 22003. Once you turn from Columbia Pike into the park you will have immediate split: turn RIGHT and drive up the hill and after 1/8 of a mile there is a parking area with approximately 50-60 spots. From parking area you will see start/finish line on your right.
15. Dogs: this is a dog friendly park. On the other side of the park there is literally a dog park but even on trails it is fine to walk/run with dogs. If they are behaved they don’t have to be on a leash. So, feel free to bring your dog(s) with you or even run a race with them.
16. Kids: are welcome to join you. If you want them to officially participate in a race that is fine as long as you sign a waiver on their behalf. If they will join you unofficially that’s perfectly fine as well.
17. Strollers: NO. The course is not stroller friendly. Too many roots, rocks, tree trunks, loose gravel, steep hills. Simply not safe. Safety first.
Gifting and Raffle a. Gifting: The festival is brought to the community and its people as a gift. Everybody may participate whether they have money or not, whether they sign up in advance or on the spot. Participants are asked, though, to gift us back/donate, if they are in situation to do so. That is completely up to them as well as the size of their gift. If not, they may still participate in as many events as they desire and are able to. Suggested gift amount is between $10 and $75. Gifts are being accepted before, during and after the festival, until October 1, 2018. Participants will be able to gift/donate via the event’s website, by using credit card, all the time up to October 1, 2018, by sending a check to us or at the event itself, where cash and checks as well as credit cards will also be accepted.
b. Raffle: Each participant will receive one free raffle ticket. Kids Fun Run yields NO tickets as each participant will receive their own price
There will be raffle drawings immediately around 10, around 11 and at 2 pm or immediately after last runner finishes 6h run, but number of prizes at each drawing depends on number of items businesses/organizations/individuals will donate to the festival. (If you would like to donate a raffle prize please contact us by email or phone.)
Become a Sponsor
We invite local businesses and organizations to be part of the Festival. We accept monetary and in-kind gifts and we offer the following suggested gift options:
1. Bronze Gifter - $50:
You name will be published on the event’s website and in each e-mail message sent to all participating parties.
2. Silver Gifter - $100:
You name will be published on the event’s website and in each e-mail message sent to all participating parties, and any promotional material you provide will be distributed to the event participants.
3. Gold Gifter $250 gift:
You name will be published on the event’s website and in each e-mail message sent to all participating parties, and any promotional material you provide will be distributed to the event participants. Your name will be published on the company's website (GetUpAndGoCoaching.com), and FB page (@RiseRunShine) and other electronic communications with the event participants. You will also have a chance to put up a presentation table/stand during the event if so desired.
If your organization/business decides to become one of the event’s sponsor, you can do so by clicking on “Send Us a Gift” button and insert the amount you would like to send. After receiving your gift we will connect with you in order to find a way of cooperation that will be the most suitable for all parties.
If you are considering in-kind gift, please send us an email at info@MasonDistrictRunningFestival.com. We will work with you to find the best solution for all involved parties. In-kind gifts may be used as a raffle prizes.